Heather models a Rainbow Spiral Black Over Dye by Up and Dyed
One of the most enduring color combinations that I have marketed over the years is the Rainbow spectrum with a black over dye spiral, and its cousin, the black over dyed rainbow fan.
Eric in a Rainbow Fan with Black Over Dye by Up and Dyed
Over Dyeing with black changes the entire dynamic of the rainbow spectrum, adding depth, contrast and motion to the eye-pleasing color sequence of the rainbow. It is common for patrons to ask if this process began with a black garment to achieve this end result. No, it began life as a white garment. It is probably my most requested secret. If I had secrets.
Over dyeing with black is doing exactly that== Applying black dye over fabric already dyed another color.
- Mix the black dye powder at the ratio of 1 Tblsp of dye powder and 1 Tblsp of table salt per 4 ounces of warm water.
- Thickener can be added to the black dye to reduce spreading.
- The garment is dyed to the saturation point on both sides in the 6 colors Yellow, Orange, Red, Purple, Blue, and Green.
- Allow dyed item to batch for 10 minutes.
- Apply a heavy over coat of black to ONE side of the garment.
- Leave the item black side up on a drip rack.
- Allow item to batch for 12 – 24 hours.
- Wash out in very hot soapy water.
Another method for over dyeing with black is to dye or tie dye a garment, wash it out, re-pre-soak, then re-tie using arashi shibori resist techniques. The over dye with black in shibori creates stunning contrast.
Recently, a patron requested an earth with a black over dye rainbow fan. I took pictures along the way to share with you. My camera is not the best and I am a poor photographer, but perhaps the lesson is illustrated well enough to follow.
- The globe was painted using thickened Turquoise and Kelly Green fiber reactive dyes on the waist of a pre-soaked tee shirt, directly below the sleeve.
- Shirt was allowed to batch for 48 hours or until the dye is completely dry.
- Re-dampen garment with water in a spray bottle, protecting the globe image from the spray.
- Accordion pleated around the globe.
- Place bindings about two inches a part, the length of the garment.
Dye in the rainbow spectrum repeating pattern.
Black dye covering one side.
I hope you found this information useful. If so, please consider making a donation to help keep my site advertisement free.